The mythology that surrounds masturbation and self-pleasure is wild and varied. You’ll often hear rumors that masturbation can cause a myriad of negative consequences. However, we’re here to reassure you that those rumors are untrue.
What is Masturbation?
Masturbation is the practice of self-pleasure, also known as solo-sex. It is strongly encouraged by sex therapists, sexologists, and sex coaches across the board.
Typically, for penis-owners, it is the practice of stroking the shaft and head of the penis or playing with the testicles until they experience an orgasm.
For vulva-owners, both internal stimulation of the G-Spot or the A-Spot and the clitoris are frequently used during solo-sex.
The options don’t end there! Many people can experience orgasm from breast or nipple stimulation alone.
Of course, there’s also anal play. For penis-owners, this is a combination of the feeling of penetration as well as prostate stimulation. Meanwhile, for vulva-owners anal play and stimulation can create a totally unique orgasmic experience by stimulating the elusive O-spot.
Really anything that brings you sexual pleasure can fall under the definition of “masturbation.” Whatever gets you going is all that matters!
Is Masturbation Healthy?
The short answer is yes, masturbation is healthy. We learn the most about ourselves during solo-sex, our sexual response cycle, and what turns us on (and off.)
This knowledge about our own pleasure response is something we can translate into partnered sexual activities later. It teaches you what you want, how you want it, and how long you want it to go. Often, the culprit behind low-quality sex is a lack of knowledge.
There are tons of other benefits to practicing regular masturbation such as:
- Better sleep quality
- Help with relaxation
- Stress reduction
- Improved self-image and confidence
- Promotes the release of endorphins, causing an increase in a feeling of overall wellbeing
Is Masturbation Harmful?
The short answer is no. Masturbation is a healthy way for you to express and explore your sexual desires. The world is your oyster, and you can experience pleasure however you want to!
The freedom of this is not only liberating but encouraging!
To dispel some common and concerning rumors:
- Does masturbation cause hair loss?
- No, masturbation does not cause hair loss
- Does masturbation cause hair to grow on your hands?
- No, masturbation does not cause you to grow hair on your hands or other body parts
- Can masturbation cause blindness?
- No, masturbation does not cause blindness
- Does masturbating make me a pervert or cause sexual perversions?
- No, masturbation does not cause sexual perversions
- Can masturbation cause mental health issues?
- No, masturbation does not cause or cure mental health issues
- Can masturbation lower my libido or make me less interested in sex?
- No, masturbation does not harm your sexual desire or sexual response
How Much Masturbation is Too Much?
Unfortunately, there is such a thing as “too much masturbation.”
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual V (DSM -V) lists something known as compulsive sexual behaviour.
As a psychological diagnosis, you should be evaluated by a mental health professional. Someone suffering from compulsive sexual behaviour disorder may find that they rely on masturbation as a means of self-soothing during moments of extreme emotion or stress.
They may find that they are entirely consumed with the thought of sexual stimulation and masturbation to the point where it interferes with their daily tasks and responsibilities.
It has several hallmarks that will make it more obvious whether or not you’re suffering from this diagnosis.
- Your constant fantasies and sexualized thoughts urge, and behaviours feel out of your control and take up a large amount of your time
- After seeking out and experiencing sexual pleasure you suffer from feelings of guilt or remorse
- You feel out of control of your sexual behaviour and unable to stop
- You’ve tried to stop your actions and found yourself unable to
- Your sexual activities escalate in severity causing you to engage in illegal, high-risk, or dangerous behaviours (such as public or unprotected sex)
- Your sexual actions could or have already caused you significant suffering such as financial difficulties, difficulty maintaining healthy relationships, job loss, or legal repercussions
- You use your sexual behaviours as a way to escape from loneliness, depression, or stress
Does Masturbation Increase Testosterone?
Testosterone is commonly referred to as the “sex hormone,” and for good reason!
Testosterone is one of the hormones that can have a massive impact on your libido or sex drive. All genders create testosterone in their bodies. It plays an essential role in sperm production, sexual desire, muscle mass, and body fat.
Since testosterone plays such a significant role in sexual desire, it seems natural that you would experience a drop in testosterone levels before, during, and after a sexual encounter or activity.
According to some recent Masturbation & Sex research, there is only a very mild increase and decrease in testosterone levels in men before, during, and after sex and masturbation. The change in testosterone levels is so minimal that it shouldn’t impact you in any noticeable way.
So if you’re trying to bulk up or increase your testosterone levels for other reasons, masturbation and sex shouldn’t have much of an impact.
Another masturbation-induced orgasm study showed that men who abstained from sex and masturbation for three weeks did experience a peak in testosterone levels. However, it did not have any significant or lasting impact on the participants.
Want to Level Up Your Masturbation Game?
If you’re male-bodied and are tired of the same masturbation routines, consider getting a prostate massager or fleshlight involved!
We recommend a few in particular.
The P-Rock Prostate Massager with it’s curved design is ideal for simultaneous prostate and testicular stimulation, so prepare to have your mind completely blown!
We also can’t recommend the Quest Bullet enough!. With it’s10 powerful vibration and pulsation levels you can get the exact kind of stimulation that you’re looking for.
If you’re female-bodied, then we suggest you try G-Motion Rabbit Wand. This Double-ended wand has 7 vibrating functions and 3 speeds of deeply delightful rocking and is sure to get the job done every time.